Friday, August 26, 2016

Pampers

Sometimes language is funny. I went to visit the workers a few days ago, and I thought they were saying that the pampers were about to arrive. They went on and on and I was quite confused as to why they were so excited for diapers to arrive. On the day they arrived I was even more confused as there wasn't a pamper(diaper) in site. After having someone speak very clearly I finally understood they were saying "pan puun" which are cement blocks for the floor that are already reinforced with metal inside. Once again I was glad that I wasn't a part of the work crew as they were lifting those heavy things with the backhoe from the ground to halfway, but then the men had to work together to lift them to the second floor and then another team to get them into place. They are being held in place by a series of boards to support the heavy pieces until it is completed properly.
I also took the chance to sneak up (with permission) the first half of the steps on the other side, and then up a ladder so I could get a picture of where they laid the cement by hand. They said that by next week the rest of the steps will be complete and I can climb to the top. I'm excited.
the view from the ladder

first selfie on the second floor (kind of)

the boards and bamboo holding up the floor that they poured

lifting the "pampers" onto the second floor


No comments:

Post a Comment